Pages

Thursday 9 January 2014

To kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

'Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird'. 

A lawyer's advice to his children as he defends the real mockingbird of Harper Lee's classic novel - a black man charged with the rape of a white girl. Through the young eyes of Scout and Jem Finch, Harper Lee explores with exuberant humour the irrationality of adult attitudes to race and class in the Deep South of the 1930's. The conscience of a town steeped in prejudice, violence and hypocisy is pricked by the stamina of one man's struggle for justice. But the weight of history will only tolerate so much. 







Publisher: First published in Great Britain in 1960 by William Heinemann
First published in 1989 by  Arrow Books - Paperback 
Pages: 309
ISBN: 978-0-09-954948-2



This is the first book I have read for my 2014 challenge of revisiting books we had to read at school. I hadn't read this one since I was about 14 or 15 so a fair time ago.  I have the DVD which I haven't watched for a while, I could remember the story but actually couldn't remember the outcome.  The story is narrated by Miss Jean Louise Finch also known as Scout. In the first part of the book she tells the story of her father Attitcus, who is a lawyer in Maycombe County, and her life with her brother Jeremy (Jem for short).  You are aware at this stage that there is a big court case coming up where Atticus will be defending a local coloured man accused of raping a white mans daughter.  Part two of the book concentrates on the events of the court case, it's outcome and what happens following the hearing.  I found this to be a easy read and a good book and second time around I appreciated the authors penmanship a lot better than the first.  Whether you have previously read 'To Kill A Mocking Bird' for your English exam or just browsing the book shelf for a good read set in 30's I would certainly recommend this one.  



Mx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Please leave a comment as I do like to read them and will answer any I receive.