Pages

Monday 17 March 2014

Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck

Streetwise George and his big, childlike friend Lennie are drifters searching for work in the fields and valleys of California. They have nothing except the clothes on their back, and a hope that one day they'll find a place of their own and love the American dream. But dreams come at a price. Gentle giant Lennie doesn't know his own strength and why they find work at a ranch he gets into trouble with the boss's daughter-in-law. Trouble so bad that even his protector George may not be able to save him.






Published by: Penguin Books - Fiction
Year: 1957
Pages: 122
ISBN: 978-0-141-02357-1



I had never read Of Mice and Men' but many of you commented about reading this one for O'level or like me you have had teenagers who have recently read this one for their GCSE that I thought I should make this my next school reads revisited book. It is a relatively short book  but there is a lot contained within the 122 pages you really get to know each of the characters.

Of Mice & Men  portrayed what true friendship really is that no matter what George was always there to protect his friend Lennie.  They had been firm friends since they were children and George promised Lennie's aunt that he would always look after him. Lennie is not the brightest chap and without George would be taken advantage of.  

The two have traveled finding work where they can. Lennie is a giant of a man  but does not realise his own strength. Whilst working on a ranch Lennie gets into the worst possible trouble with the boss's daughter-in-law and this time George cannot protect him and therefore takes the only course of action he feels left open to him loosing his friend in the process. 

Whilst enjoying the sunshine of this weekend  did enjoy John Steinbecks novel and wished this had been one I had read in school I can see why my own children and so many of you recommended it. 

Happy reading one & all

Mx


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Please leave a comment as I do like to read them and will answer any I receive.