Pages

Thursday 8 May 2014

Animal Farm - George Orwell



'All animals are equal - but some are more equal than others'


When the downtrodden animals of Manor Farm overthrow their master Mr. Jones and take over the farm themselves, they imagine it is the beginning of a life of freedom and equality. But gradually a cunning, ruthless elite among them, masterminded by the pigs Napoleon and Snowball, starts to take control. Soon the other animals discover that they are not all as equal as they thought, and find themselves hopelessly ensnared as one form of tyranny is replaced with another. 




Published by: Penguin Classics 
Pages: 144
Year: New Ed edition (February 2000)
ISBN: 978-0141182704


I do not remember reading this at school but, once I started reading it I seemed to recognize the story and the characters within. From early on you discover that Napoleon has his own agenda. He is striving to become leader of the animals of Animal Farm. He soon becomes the dictator of everything that happens at the farm and no one is brave enough to question his judgement.  The one thing that became apparent to me was that whilst reading this story I could think of several people that I have come across in my working life that have done just that. Sacrificing all others in  order to get to the top. 

One thing you have to learn about getting to the top though,  is that once you are there it's hard to maintain that status and there is only one way to go.   


Did any of you read this one?


Mx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Please leave a comment as I do like to read them and will answer any I receive.