Pages

Sunday 26 July 2015

Go Set A Watchman - Harper Lee



Every man's island, Jean Louise, 
every man's watchman, 
is his conscience.'


Maycomb Alabama, twenty-six year old Jean Louise Finch - 'Scout' returns home from New York City to visit her ageing father, Atticus. Set against the backdrop of the civil rights tensions and political turmoil that were transforming the South, Jean Louise's homecoming turns bittersweet when she learns disturbing truths about her close-knit family, the town and the people dearest to her. Memories from her childhood flood back, and her values and assumptions are thrown into doubt.

.....................................................................

So how have you spent the last week of the school year. I have spent mine reading the new Harper Lee novel 'Go Set A Watchman'. For anyone who doesn't know 'Go Set A Watchman' is set twenty years after 'To Kill A Mockingbird' and Scout (Jean Louise) is now a young woman.  You will remember that as a child she idolized her father Atticus as a lot if little girls do and sometimes in reality they are not quite the most perfect human beings that we think they are and this is the realsation that Scout has to come to terms with. I really enjoyed it I know it's had a lot of mixed reviews and yes I do still prefer 'To Kill A Mockingbird' but then that was part of my growing up too and was always one of my favourites so this one would of had to have gone someway in order to beat it.

...................................................................

Moving on I have selected this months return to my childhood read and for the month of July it is going to be




Mx

1 comment:

  1. To succeed we must BELIEVE that we CAN.
    It's a great pleasure to read your blog. Keep on sharing some kind of knowledge. Have a good day :)
    imarksweb.net

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by my blog. Please leave a comment as I do like to read them and will answer any I receive.